- Mr. Holland’s Opus — Mr. Holland gives up on his dream, settles for less.
- What Women Want (the Mel Gibson film) — A strong-minded career woman gives up her career to marry.
- Romeo and Juliet — Do they really have to die?
- Brokeback Mountain — Does it really have to end with a hate crime?
- Groundhog Day — Wouldn’t Phil arrive at higher aspirations than to marry Rita and settle down after such a deep transformation of his character?
And here are some films that seem to me to be calling out for Better Ending sequels:
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind II (or, Mr. Neary’s Return) — What has Roy been exposed to on the aliens’ planet or space voyage; what will he bring back to enlighten humanity?
- Lost Horizon II — After Hugh “Glory” Conway returns to Shangri-La and his soul mate Sondra to assume the spiritual position of High Lama, what happens in the outside world and how does Hugh respond from Shangri-La to bring a New Dawn to humanity after a major catastrophe?
- Contact II — Once the President’s Secretary goes public to reveal that Eleanor Arroway’s trip through a wormhole was indeed real, what are the next ‘small steps’ in store for humanity as it joins with the larger intergalactic community? Certainly the technology will need to be protected from those who would use it for harm or personal profit. Will science and religion be finally reunited in Eleanor and Palmer Joss’s marriage and co-authored books?
- Harry Potter 9 (-?): The ‘New’ Generation — Now that Voldemort (yes, we can name him now), and all he represented has been cleansed from the world, might Harry / Ginny’s and Hermione / Ron’s progeny lead the way to helping Muggles themselves to become aware of and begin to learn from the Wizarding world? (or, not…)
Now then, of course these lists are only my own, and as such they raise an interesting question: Why these? Are there certain kinds of endings to certain kinds of films or stories that I or you simply “cannot abide”? Let’s look at this on Friday. For now, exercise your imagination, write your own list.What movie endings would you like to re-vision, why, and how? Please share your Comments or your own list in the Comments box below. You can submit your Better Movie Ending Story (by Saturday, if you would wish to be considered for Story of the Week) by Submitting your story.
- Lost Horizon’s Lost Soul ~ SL Travel 52 (classiccougarstyle.com)
- THROWBACK: ‘Groundhog Day’: An unlikely philosophical story (themovieclubbers.wordpress.com)